Many colleges require students to write an essay. The essay helps the college to decide if you would be a good fit to the school. Your essay should be personal and different. Essay topics fall into 3 basic categories: personal, academic, or discussion. Don’t forget to download our free Proof Reading Check List.
- Don’t wait until the last minute. Give yourself plenty of time to plan, write, and revise your essay.
- Have a friend or family member proofread your essay. They might find something that you missed.
- Type your essay in a standard font and size 12.
- Make your essay stand out and personal. Each school receives thousands of essays; you want them to remember your essay.
- Your essay should be about 500-600 words. Don’t make your essay too long or too short.
- Give specific examples.
- Be honest.
- Pick an event in your life that made you who you are.
- What is your biggest accomplishment?
- When did you fail at something and how did you handle it?
- Why you want to attend a particular school.
- What you want to do and why. (How you will contribute to the world with your degree.
- Why you want to attend college.
- Both sides of a political problem.
- How to make the world a better place.
- Both sides of a social problem.